Qualifications and ExperienceI have a degree in Psychology and Physiology and a masters degree in Clinical Communication Studies and have worked for over 12 years as a paediatric speech and language therapist within the NHS.
Throughout my career I have worked to support children, their families and school staff, regarding a variety of speech, language and communication needs. This has included working in the following settings:
- Mainstream Primary Schools
- Mainstream Secondary Schools
- Specialist Speech and Language Provisions attached to Mainstream Schools
- Specialist Provisions for Moderate Learning Difficulties
- Community Clinics
- The child's home
Working within this range of settings has given me a breadth of experience working with a full range of speech, language and communication needs in both preschool and school-aged children.
My work within these settings has included:
- Individual assessment
- Multi-professional joint assessment
- Individual, paired and group therapy
- Indirect therapy (targets and programme set by therapist and delivered by school staff, with regular support and monitoring by therapist)
- Consultancy/professional liaison
- Joint teaching with school staff
- Formal and informal training of school staff, other professionals and parents
Specialist InterestsMy particular areas of specialist interest are working with school-aged children (Primary and Secondary aged) who have:
- Developmental Language Disorder
(previously known as Specific Language Impairment)
Unusual development of language skills (a difficulty involving talking and/or understanding of language) where there are no other sensory, learning or developmental difficulties
- Speech Disorder (including verbal dyspraxia)
Unusual development / use of speech sounds (pronunciation difficulties)
- Language Disorder
Unusual development of language skills (a difficulty involving talking and/or understanding of language)
- Selective Mutism
Where a child or young person speaks confidently and fluently in one/some situations (such as at home) but does not speak in others (such as at school)
Professional RegistrationI am a practising/registered member of the following organisations:
- Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT)
- Association of Speech and Language Therapists in Independent Practise (ASLTIP)
- Health and Care Professions Council (HCPC)
These require that I keep my professional knowledge and skills up to date. I must also adhere to strict professional standards and follow a code of conduct expected by these organisations.
I also have an enhanced DBS check which is available to view online via the government's update service.
When I'm not working I'm kept very busy as a mum to two young boys, the eldest of whom has some language difficulties of his own.